A new commemorative medal was created to mark the 2012 celebrations of the 60th anniversary of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s accession to the Throne as Queen of Canada. The Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal is a tangible way for Canada to honour Her Majesty for her service to this country. At the same time, it serves to honour significant contributions and achievements by Canadians.
As a long-time partner organization with the Governor General’s office, the Royal Society of Canada has been granted the opportunity to present a select few of our Fellows with one of these Diamond Jubilee Medals. An open nomination process is being held, and will close at 17h00 EST on December 8, 2012. Nominations are adjudicated based on the following guidelines:
- The nominee must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, but need not necessarily reside in Canada.
- The nominee must be a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.
- The nominee must have been alive on February 6th, 2012, the 60th Anniversary of Her Majesty’s accession to the Throne. The medal can be awarded posthumously, as long as the recipient was alive on that date.
- The medal is to be awarded in recognition of service to the Royal Society in the first case, and service to scholarship, science, or the arts in the second case.
- The medal will be in recognition of lifetime achievement, or over a considerable time period.
- The nomination will be accompanied by a 150-word citation highlighting the nominee’s service to the Society and/or to Canadian scholarship, science, or the arts.
- The nomination will be accompanied by the names of three supporters (in addition to the nominator). The supporters need not be Fellows of the RSC.
- The nominator does not have to be FRSC – however, notification of the process will only be distributed to members of the RSC and Institutional Members.
Please contact Russel MacDonald with any questions about the award or the nomination process. To complete a nomination, download the nomination form below, and submit online or by email to email@example.com before 17h00 EST, December 8, 2012.